Finance Operations Intern
Uniplaces is building a trusted, global brand for students. We believe in empowering student mobility and we have started by making the process of finding accommodation easier. We’re solving real life pains and we’re backed by top tier investors such as Atomico, Octopus Investments, Shilling Capital Partners and Caixa Capital to help us achieve this better and faster.
We are an internationally minded company with an extremely talented team and global ambitions. Our decisions are driven by our core values of Passion, Impact, Trust and Team Spirit - with which we aim at having a company where everyone feels accountable and empowered to achieve their full potential.
About the Finance Team:
With fast execution and high ambition comes the need to watch for sustainability and efficiency. The finance team is a business partner to all managers and the leadership team and supports in budgeting, accounting, financial control and forecasting.
Overview of role
Reporting directly to our Finance Operations Manager, with close interaction with the Financial Controller, the successful candidate will be a key addition to our Finance & BI team, which is split between London and Lisbon. The Finance Operations Intern will support the Operational Finance manager, ensuring that landlords are paid/pay the company on time and that all sales invoices are accurately recorded and sent out. The role will work closely with the operations team in Lisbon as well as the international teams in Italy, Spain and Germany.
This role will suit someone with a strong work ethic, who is looking to make an immediate impact on an exciting growth-stage, Venture Capital backed company.
In this role, your mission is:
- Managing day to day finance queries from the operational teams and customers.
- Managing the expense claim process for all staff working outside of Portugal.
- Assisting with the reconciliation of the client account balances to ensure that the company is holding all necessary transactional funds.
- Assisting with the accounts payable function to ensure that all suppliers are paid on time..
- Aiding the improvement of the internal control environment, including suggesting systems improvements and to actively assist in building efficient end-to-end processes.
- Cash and treasury management.
- Assisting with ad hoc tasks such as fraud analysis, chargebacks and reporting product faults.
- Reconciliation of the company’s credit cards
- Assisting the UK management accountant with month end balance sheet reconciliations.
- Answering local VAT queries with training provided by the existing finance team.
Your track record:
- Strong academic record, in relevant areas like Accounting, Finance, Management, among others
- Fluent in English
- Strong knowledge of Excel
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Netsuite experience beneficial but not essential.
- You have the ability to build effective relationships with financial and non-financial as well as internal and external stakeholders, e.g. sales, finance, operations, marketing
- Proven self-starter with experience working independently, juggling and prioritizing across workloads and consistently meeting deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, yet also showing the ability to surface the key material issues
- Positive proactive can do work ethic
- Ability to work autonomously, being effective at planning and organizing
- Ability to prioritize across many different tasks
- Friendly and approachable attitude to work
- Strong time management skills and ability to deliver on multiple objectives in a time pressured environment through effective prioritization;
- Comfortable working in a high paced change environment with a willingness and ability to adapt to the rapid business and organizational changes that accompany a high-growth environment;
This is why you’ll love this role:
- A company culture that is people-driven and that focuses on personal development and training to help you tap your talent into its full;
- You will have a direct contact with the senior team, with management responsibilities and decision-making ownership;
- Access to a pool of talent that is hard to find. Your stakeholders and peers will come from world-class backgrounds and will have stepped up within Uniplaces. You’ll find mentors and role models;
- Working in Lisbon, one of the coolest up and coming start-up hubs in Europe, where the sun always shines and the seafood is delicious.
What else do you need to know?
- The role is based in Lisbon.
- For this position, we do not sponsor working visas, but we offer a relocation package in case you are not in Portugal.