Uniplaces is building a trusted, global brand for students. We believe in empowering student mobility and we have started by making the process of finding accommodation easier. We’re solving real-life pains and we’re backed by top-tier investors such as Atomico, Octopus Investments, Shilling Capital Partners, and Caixa Capital to help us achieve this better and faster.
We are an internationally-minded company with an extremely talented team and global ambitions. Our decisions are driven by our core values of Passion, Impact, Trust, and Collaboration - with which we aim at having a company where everyone feels accountable and empowered to achieve their full potential.
About the PED team
We’re a technology-based startup and we depend on our product to provide the best possible service to our students and landlords. This is where the PED team comes in and it's why this is core to Uniplaces, to fulfill the vision of creating the world’s most loved marketplace for students, and the most valued product for our landlords.
We’re now looking to fill a CTO role to lead our team. Today we are all working together on multiple business verticals with clear KPIs and objectives that are aligned with the company OKRs.
Overview of the role
We are a small team looking for a CTO used to putting his hands on the work and that isn’t afraid of get the hands dirty. This position requires you to be a real-life problem solver and manage projects from start to end while supporting the strategy definition. You are expected to have broad experience on a spectrum of stacks, technologies, software, tools, and infrastructure as well as a track record of people management, coaching, and strategic thinking. It’s also expected that you have had experience in team management, project management, and training in a fast-growing and dynamic environment.
- Setting company technical vision and leading the company’s technological development;
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals;
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield a competitive advantage;
- Help departments use technology profitably;
- Mentor team members;
- Review timeframes and budgets;
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency;
- Improve quality assurance and data protection processes;
- Define department OKRs and monitor KPIs to ensure their fulfillment;
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology;
- Minimum 2 years in a CTO role, or 3+ years in a Head/Director/VP of Engineering or Technology at a similar-sized organization
- Or a proven track record in the equivalent IC track, Lead or Principal with about 5+ years of experience;
- Proven track record of scaling and growing an international engineering team;
- Have experience in scaling infrastructure, both geographically and traffic-wise;
- Understanding of budgets and business-planning;
- Have worked in a fast-paced growing organization;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and time-management skills;
- Be a natural stakeholder manager;
- Have previous experience and a broad understanding of multi-tier applications;
- Have extensive knowledge of software architecture;
- Have experience in managing and working with cross-functional teams;
- Be comfortable with software design patterns - when and how to use them;
- Have development experience with front and backend technologies;
- Be driven by application performance;
- Have extensive experience using AWS (Amazon Web Services);
Nice to have:
- Experience with Domain-driven Design (DDD).
- Experience with AWS Cloud
- Experience with Symfony PHP frameworks and Golang
What else do you need to know?
- Competitive compensation package, negotiable, based on experience, attractive performance bonus plan & stock option compensation plan;
- A career path that will fulfill your ambitions and where you will have a unique opportunity to break new ground!
- The role is based in Lisbon, where the sun always shines;